Arriving at the airport to pick up your loved ones with a wrapped bouquet of breathtaking blooms is not only endearing and lovely but symbolizes just how much they mean to you. Whether your mother is coming to visit, your best friend is passing through town, or your significant other is traveling back home, there is sure to be a flower that has the perfect meaning for the occasion. Dive in with us here at Flowers by Leslie, the top florist in Portsmouth, as we explore the various symbolism behind some of our favorite flowers for a warm welcome at the airport.
Welcoming Travelers with the Language of Flowers
Fresh Flowers for Friends
Scheduling a visit with your best friends is one of the greatest things we can do, especially if they live far away. While their trip is sure to create memories that you will cherish forever, begin their visit on a high note by presenting them with meaningful and joyous blooms as you enjoy your reunion at the airport. Make note of these fresh flowers that symbolize friendship.
- Alstroemeria – Friendship and Optimism
- Chrysanthemums – “You’re a wonderful friend”
- Geraniums – True Friendship
- Iris – “Your friendship means so much to me”
- Yellow Roses – Friendship and Joy
- Yellow Tulips – Friendship and Cheerfulness
- Zinnias – “Never forget absent friends”
Romantic Blooms for Significant Others
While the hopeless romantic in us will envision a groundbreaking and tear-jerking reunion between you and your significant other, complete with a flying leap into your arms as they deboard the plane, we are also realistic. If this romantic scene needs to stay in the movies, you can still create a memorable and loving greeting with a beautifully wrapped bouquet of flowers. Some of the best blooms for welcoming back your significant other also perfectly symbolize a strong loving bond.
- Dahlia – Excitement and Lasting Bond
- Forget-Me-Not – “True love memories”
- Roses – Romance, Passion, and Love
- Honeysuckle – “The bond of love”
- Lavender – Enchantment, and Love at First Sight
- Pink Camellia – Longing and often given to those we miss
- Red Chrysanthemums – “I love you”
- Stocks – Bonds of Affection and Happy Life
Meaningful Petals for Family
Welcoming your family back to town or presenting out-of-town family members with a heartfelt greeting can of course be done through florals as well. With symbolism that fits any person or occasion, these flowers have quite a lot to say. Sweet and fragrant blooms prove to be a wonderful choice for a blissful family reunion and airport pickup.
- Hydrangea – Sincerely Heartfelt and Gratitude
- Orange Tulips – Warmth
- Peach Roses – Missing Someone
- Pink Carnations – Gratitude and a Mother’s Undying Love
Cheerful Flowers for Any Traveler/Visitor
While we don’t always share a close relationship or deep bond with our out-of-town guests, it is still a sweet gesture to welcome them with a fresh floral bouquet at the airport. Instead of greeting them with romantic roses, you can find blooms that symbolize appreciation for their visit or happiness and bliss due to their company.
- Baby’s Breath – Happiness
- Calla Lilies – Rejuvenation, Classy Style, and Luxurious Appeal
- Gerbera Daisies – Cheerfulness and Loyal Love
- Pink Roses – Appreciation, Joy, and Gratitude
- Safflowers – Welcome
- Sunflowers – Happiness
- Sweet Pea – “Thank you,” Bliss, Pleasure, and a great way to bid someone “farewell” after a wonderful visit
- Wisteria – Welcome
- Yellow Lily – Gratitude
Related Meanings of Colors
The symbolism or meaning behind your most-loved blooms goes deeper than the type of flower it is. Its unique story can also be told through the color of its petals. To show your guests and travelers how much their visit means to you, take into consideration these classic pigments and sweet hues found in fabulous floral bouquets.
- Light Pink – Admiration
- Peach – Gratitude
- Pink – Gratitude and Appreciation
- Red – Passion, Love, and Romance
- Yellow – Joy and Friendship
Aside from bringing excitement and happiness and conveying special messages, welcoming travelers to town with flowers is a tradition that has been around for many centuries. In the 1800s, as passengers on steamships arrived in Hawaii, locals would greet them with strings of orchids, plumeria, pikake, kukui nuts, maile leaves, and rare shells, more commonly known as leis. This “authentic Hawaiian hello,” remains a symbol of love, hospitality, respect, and “aloha” and is still a modern practice to welcome visitors and vacationers to the islands.
Reuniting with or meeting travelers at the airport is a fun and exciting moment. As the warm fuzzy feelings of being back together with loved ones and friends come over you, plan a special greeting with a floral bouquet from Flowers by Leslie. We are certain that you will find the perfect blooms for a thoughtful welcome.